You will do better in a job interview if you have prepared yourself.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare.
- Research the position and the company before the interview. Check their website.
- Be prepared by reading through the job advertisement and job requirements carefully.
- Look at the main requirements for the job, anticipate what questions may be asked and plan how you will answer them.
- Be ready with positive answers about working as part of a team and what strengths you could bring to the position.
- Think about questions that you want to ask the interviewer(s) before you get to the interview.
- Find out where the interview is and work out how you will get there. Be there 5 minutes early.
- Listen carefully to the questions and answer them fully.
- Ask for clarification if you don’t understand a question.
- Be specific in your answers and give concrete examples of your experience.
- Admit if you don’t know the answer to a question. Don’t try to bluff your way through.
- Present yourself professionally by dressing appropriately.
- Speak clearly and appear confident by maintaining eye contact with the interviewer(s)
- Show enthusiasm and smile.
- Have a list of references available, including addresses and phone numbers, if they were not included with the resume.